Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Week 42! "Among The Lamanites‏"

From 11/10/14

Ali chishi! Imashugui ta capangui, mashigo? :)

This week was really something. We had surprise interviews with President Richardson and I was able to express a little of my concerns in this sector. Matthew -- those are super good tips, thanks! The area book here, unfortunately, is "that" area book. The one that has incomplete or no information...and hasn`t been updated in about a year D: aaaaahh. This is the big concern. But, we`re getting there. We just asking for references everywhere we go and have been getting to know people bit by bit :)

Anyway, I guess I just care way to much about the quality of the way we teach and document people`s progress. I`m here to help people have their own conversion, and to do so (for me, at least), I like having accurate, complete information in order. That`s why it`s taken some extra diligence and faith these days....but I like it. I feel like these are the kind of challenges I`m built for, and I feel good. I feel strong.

And I`m pretty sure it`s because of all the scripture-reading and prayers I`ve been doing, as well as the support from home. I really really appreciate all of you because of the weekly support and emails....I`m pretty spoiled in that area because I get email at least every week while others sometimes get little to none...So thank you! In my setting-apart blessing, Pres Gutierrez actually made a point to comment that the weekly emails I write and read will be a source of spiritual upliftment every week...and that`s just how it`s been :)

Hna Q and I have had a problem with our bathroom sink smelling really really bad since before she even got here. I believe it was last week...President Richardson, his wife, the mission assistants, and our district leader and his companion, all came over to our house (SURPRISE) after a mission conference. President Richardson stepped in and crinckled his nose...."Broccoli?" he asked. I quickly explained, "No, It`s coming from the bathroom sink. It`s been like that for a while now. We don`t know what it is."

They checked the nature and condition of the rest of the house. And, lo and behold, the biggest recommendation was to get the source of the smell fixed....jajaja Ok President. CONCLUSION to the story: the smell has been like that for a few months here, and Hna Q and I found out that the tube just needed to be tweaked to form the right drainage shape.. and the smell was gone in seconds -_- jaja

AND. One day we stepped into our home at night, it was dark, and as I put my foot through the door I heard, "sploosh." I turned on the light to find our little hallway 2 inches deep in water. Cool. I think it was from our neighbor`s shower that must`ve gone wrong. But yeah. We swept the water out the door and down the stairs just to get it out of the house. Hopefully no one slipped on the steps that night....muahahaha.

Lots of funness with our little hippie-house. We rearranged it a little bit and cleaned a TON of nasty stuff the first week I was here. In that rearrangement, I found and moved a little Christmas tree into our room by my bed. The lights work and everything!!!! For the past week and a half or so, we`ve been sleeping with a lit mini-Christmas tree in our room...and sometimes I`ll even play the Christmas music Dad gave me on the little mp3 to lull ourselves to sleep. jajaja THE LIFE.

So anyways, Hna Q and I are eating better and exercising regularly in the mornings. We even used something I remember Mom telling me before the mission of wrapping plastic wrap around our bellies as we exercise....and it end up wettttt. It is so awesome! And well, Amy`s been helping us with her motivation and exercise diet and tips, so today is day one of the 21 day fix program my compa and I have started. We are going to be so smokin` by the time we`re done!!! woohoo :p jejeje

Another random story that just came to mind....This morning I was sharing my studies with my compa. I tried to explain that Jesus Christ had Nephi (in 3 Nephi) bring the records to Him....I couldn`t remember the Spanish words for "record", But! I could remember it in Quichua! jajaja Now, don`t get too excited, my Quichua is very very very less than basic. But, I thought that was cool jaja. Reading the Book of Mormon in Quichua is the best thing I`ve done yet. When I first arrived here and stepped off the terminal bus, I remember eagerly looking for any sign of quichuan-ness that I could begin learning right away. The first sign I saw that had Quichua on it was to the bathrooms. I am proud to say that the first Quichuan words I learned here was "bathroom", oh sea, "ishpana uku." Aren`t you prouuuud. :`) Jamàs will I forget my first Quichuan words of the mission :)

One night a member invited the elders in our ward and us to a birthday party for her son. We accepted at first, and were looking forward to attending. But, something kept nudging at the back of my mind. There are many regulations as missionaries, and, although I`m sure we weren`t doing anything horribly wrong (or else I wouldn`t have accepted), I did have a sense that the mission President wouldn`t approve of both the elders AND us being there.

So, that morning we had a really good excuse to change plans and go explore a part of our sector that we don`t know yet...because the only bus that heads there leaves at 12 pm and not again until 6 pm. So, we cancelled the party-plan and headed out to look for a less active family that the bishop gave us. We found them. AND. 8 members of this family are less active. All live there. They have been less active 8 years, but don`t even know why or how it is that they ended up that way....perhaps the distance to get to church?..

Two of the youngest kids in the family (14 and 12 years old) were never baptized because they were too young. They were all so respective and receptive. They committed to begin coming to church...asi de facil. And the two youngest desire to be baptized. They even read both the pamphlet and the scripture assignment we left them!!! De oro.

Yesterday in ward council, we mentioned that we were able to find this family and that they were super good. The bishop, his counselors, and his secretary immediately jumped wagon to go with us to visit them that night.

And, if it hadn`t been a lesson, I would`ve totally recorded it. The parents of this family don`t understand much Spanish and speak solely Quichua. SO, bishop and his counselor translated the lesson to them. IT WAS SO AMAZING. The best part is, I UNDERSTOOD a lot of the conversation they were having between the parents and the bishopric in Quichua....ahhhhh I love my life.

I should really take and send a picture of our bishop. He is SO HANDSOME because he has a very special countenance and authority in all that he is and does. And he has a long, thick braid that reaches all the way down his lower back.

It`s going to be really hard to leave this area when the times comes and the Lord calls me somewhere else.

I am so happy here. It has been work, but there`s a feeling of calmness and tranquility here that I can`t express or explain....something that I never felt in Quito. As I read the Book of Mormon, I feel the sacredness of the experience I have to serve among the Lamanites.

You can talk with any missionary that has ever served here among the indigenous people, and every single one will tell you that it was one of the best experiences they`d ever had...and that, unless they had been serving here for more than 6 or 7 months, they don`t ever want to leave. I think that a big part of that reason is because we are here fulfilling the Lord`s promise that these "remnants of the house of Israel", of the Lamanite and Nephite descendants of the Book of Mormon. And that the Lord doesn`t let His missionaries get "tired" of serving here among them. On the contrary, we feel a tireless spirit of wanting to work even harder among them...and I truly feel spiritually strong being here. It is so great.

Alrighty, I love you all turigos and ñañagus. I hope you have all had a great week and will continue to have a good week. Love you!

Ñañagu Fernelius :)




[Braided hair is common for men, women, and children in Tiffany's current area]




This white coconut chocolate is what I ate for Mom`s b-day :) jejeje

0 comments:

Post a Comment