Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Week 70! "In the Marrow of Their Bones..."

From 5/25/15

Just yesterday a tall blonde missionary came to our ward. She finished her mission a week ago, so I was surprised at first to see her there. I thought she came by herself and made some type of miraculous get-away from the rest of those who took their flight home. But then! I saw two tall people at her side following her around....her parents!!! It was super cool to see her parents there with her. They did the same thing we are doing. Her parents came to pick her up and they were in the process of making a few stops before heading to the states.

The parents seemed to be in wonderland.

It was great and got me really excited for when that day comes as well. I don`t know...I don`t feel "trunky" like many people in their last cambio...I feel good. With...everything. Good to keep working this last transfer and good with the idea of my family coming when they do. It`s weird, but my President has been a great source of encouragement and helps me want to leave a legacy of faith on the mission.

I read Ashley's email from last week about 3 times or more throughout the course of the week. Her email left an impact. That sense of deep reverence she has of the Atonement of Jesus Christ is the evidence of someone who reflects upon, understands, and meticulously applies the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The most prevailing thought that kept coming to my mind was of someone who is being instructed by God in order to achieve great wisdom in the future. That is cool.

[Click on the following link if you're interested in seeing what Ashley is up to:

http://hermanafernelius.blogspot.com/].

There`s a recent convert here named Brother C. He is 19, almost 20 years old. Last week, for the first time, he blessed the sacrament. When I saw him up there (I was sitting at the keyboard in the corner of the chapel) I became so excited! What a great joy it is to see one young man change his life around until ultimately receiving the priesthood and voicing the words of the sacrament prayer for all to hear.

Brother C lives with his elderly parents in very humble circumstances. He works and he studies. Normally if we don`t go at exactly 5 pm to his house, we won't find him there. His mom is very sick and will likely soon pass through the veil. His father, though also a convert, is struggling still with certain lifestyle changes in order to keep all the commandments. Brother C is practically....alone. He attends a Catholic school where many, if not all, his classmates ridicule him for changing his behaviors so much in so little time. His "friends" ostracize him for going from robbing women in the bus to returning to them a bus ticket that slips from their hand. They laugh at him for meekly taking a punch instead of fighting back.

One night we went to visit him. He was deeply hurting emotionally. He told us, "I can`t do this any more." And that he doesn`t want to be a member of the church anymore. It was too hard. And it costs too much.

We didn`t have the words at first....we just....hurt with him. But then the Gospel newly lit itself into each one of our hearts. That`s the beautiful part of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, that there are no holes. There is always an "out". There is always an answer. More than of knowledge, there is an answer through the Spirit...of peace, of comfort, and of encouragement. Jesus Christ came to redeem us and give us an eternal hope and perspective. Whatever doesn`t seem fair in this life will be made fair in the life to come.

He felt it all -- so that "we might not suffer if we would repent". 

Elder Holland said once, speaking of the faith of pioneers:

"They didn't do that for a program, they didn't do it for a social activity; they did it because the faith the gospel of Jesus Christ was in their soul, it was in the marrow of their bones...That's the only way those mothers could bury their babies in a breadbox and move on, saying, 'The promised land is out there somewhere. We`re  going to make it to the valley.'

"They could say that because of covenants and doctrine and faith and revelation and spirit....If we can keep that in our families and in the Church, maybe a lot of other things start to take care of themselves. Maybe a lot of other less-needed things sort of fall out of the wagon. I'm told those handcarts could only hold so much. Just as our ancestors had to choose what they took, maybe the 21st century will drive us to decide, 'What can we put on this handcart?' It`s the substance of our soul; it`s the stuff right down in the marrow of our bones."

I know that God qualifies those whom He calls. I'm taking on a greater appreciation for the worth of every soul....including my own. What I am learning is how to have a healthy self-worth....not thinking too little or too much of myself. But being able to have a spiritual meekness and confidence before God, and what it means to be His servant. I don`t know God or Jesus Christ yet, but I have the sure hope that one day I will be able to know Them.

I am grateful for this Gospel. I know it's true and I try to understand and apply it more daily. I know that every person with a good heart is trying too. And this is why we need to help each other.

Brother C is now a Home Teacher. He went out with his companions to make his first visits yesterday.

:)

I love you all! Have an amazing week!

Love,

Hna Fernelius


Tiffany worked in a trio for a few days last week with these two sisters.

This fortified gate may be more durable than the surrounding fence....

"Do not devour the paper...Use only what is necessary"


"Do not devour the soap...Use only what is necessary"


Today at the mall...

0 comments:

Post a Comment