Monday, July 28, 2014

Week 4! "The Details"

From 2/17/14

Ohhh Ashley. I think I can understand that. This week was a little harder than usual. My Spanish almost feels like it's at a stand-still, which was a disappointing sentiment this week. But also, this week we lost a lot of study time because of the capacitacion for three days. I was able to meet my groupppies!! There are 4 sisters (including me) and 8 elders that came in this cambio (transfer).



The capacitacion itself was so rejuvenating. It was interesting that I was the medium between the gringa sisters and the three Latina sisters. At night, we stayed at a hotel near the offices in central Quito, and I loved being able to go between languages to satisfy the demands of whoever it was I was speaking with hahah.

The first day of the capacitacion, we learned only a few things. But one of those things was Hna Richardson showing us how to prepare healthy meals in the church kitchen. It ended up turning into a mini-fireside. We stayed for much longer than we were supposed to because each one of us began expressing things we had learned in the past little while, and experiences we have already had. I shared several things about what they could expect as far as I knew up until then.

One of the experiences I had shared was the first weekend I was here: Sister P's baptism. And what a miracle it was. There was a silence in the kitchen room as my group listened intently to the story. I was able to recall the details so clearly. The next day, President Richardson mentioned to me that he was glad I was able to share that experience with them. That pleased me because that means Hna Richardson forwarded the details of the experience to him.

Since then, I feel as if President and Hna Richardson have a better understanding of who I am and the testimony I have. It is always a blessing to have a President who can trust and understand you.

Wednesday, we had a dinner at the Richardson's home after capacitacion. The decorations were beautiful and the socializing was enjoyable. The best part was at the end, when we each bore our testimonies. I started in English (I figured it would pass as acceptable since their were so many gringos), but President and Sister Richardson hinted across to me, "In Spanish. In Spanish." So I switched to Spanish without a glitch. And honestly, I don't think it would have come out much different in whichever language I expressed it.

I love bearing witness that this church is true. That it was restored to the earth through the prophet Joseph Smith. And that through this church, we have the fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ. We have the priesthood!!! And most importantly, every moment of every day we are living for eternity. That's a very special conocimiento to have. That I can live in the presence of Heavenly Father again...With my family.

Since Hna C and I already knew we would be companions. We totally made fun of the newbies and their trainers the next day when they all received their new companions and assigned areas. We both put on surprised looks on our faces and jumped up and hugged each other as if it was the first time we´d ever met. I stretched my arms out, as if in shock, and exclaimed, "Noo! En serio?!" with eyes wide open and a big smile on my face. It was quite the entertainment for the rest heheh. Because the President proceeded to explain that we had already been working together for three weeks prior heheh. Me and Hna C are good actresses. It was fun. Uhmm, and yes. I have been here 4 weeks today in Ecuador! Quuueee?? Scary how quickly the time lapses when every day there's so much to learn and do.


We are teaching a family right now called the Cr family. They are less active. The two boys are very animated and willing to learn and go to church with us. But, we have been teaching them out on the street. The mom is very cold and curt. For the last 3-4 months, Hna C had been trying to befriend them and help her to confide in the missionaries. But every time, she said she couldn't speak, and closed the door immediately. For the first time last week, she smiled as we spoke and joked with her at the doorway. YEAH!! Then, this week, she let us in her home to speak with her. AHAHHH! She is beginning to confide in us...but why?

Jeffrey R Holland said, "More important than speaking is listening. These people are not lifeless objects disguised as a baptismal statistic. They are children of God, our brothers and sisters, and they need what we have. Be genuine. Reach out sincerely. Ask these friends what matters most to them. What do they cherish, and what do they hold dear? And then listen. If the setting is right, you might ask what their fears are, what they yearn for, or what they feel is missing in their lives. I promise you that something in what they say will always highlight a truth of the gospel about which you can bear testimony and about which you can then offer more....If we listen with love, we won't need to wonder what to say. It will be given to us -- by the Spirit and by our friends."

Why, for 3 or more months, had she never before opened up to the missionaries? Why would she close the door without a second thought? What is the difference between then and now?

I'll share a little secret. Then first time I was with Hna C and we knocked on the door, her young son answered. We discovered that it was his birthday the day before. We wished him happy birthday, then we left. The next time we knocked, we had a little cake to give them, wished him a happy birthday again, then left. The next day, the boys were excited to see us standing at the door when we knocked. They heard the first lesson of the Restoration of the Gospel. Again and again after that, they were receiving the lessons at the door, or seated outside with us on the sidewalk. Every once in a while, we'd give them a little lollipop or high-five...something simple. They began to confide in us. 

The same thing happened with their mother. As she began to see her sons enthusiastic about reading the assignments we gave them in the Book of Mormon, and excited to hear the discussions, she began the soften. But only a little.

Then, we started appearing less like baptizing robots, and more and more like people. Young, single 21-22 year olds from different lands, with different personalities, who only wanted to share a message. A message that would change her life as it had ours. We spoke of how we dressed. We commented on her hair. We made jokes about how I have to sleep with one eye open so Hna C doesn't attack me at night. We offered service and our number any time she might need it. She was very closed and private, and she didn't seem interested in that offer. But it was there nonetheless. 

I really believe that she let us in her house Saturday day because of what Elder Holland said. We didn't go to her door just to talk at her, but to understand her. We went a little at a time and slowly gained her confidence. She began to see us as representatives of Jesus Christ, there to help her live in the light of the gospel. And not just because she is a glistening number in our books. 

People can feel the difference. If we really care or not. There's a quote I've liked for a long time that goes something like, "There isn't anyone you couldn't love once you've heard their story." 

That evening we spent a good hour in her one-room, humble home. And as we expressed Heavenly Father's love and purpose for her and her family, she felt it. And a miracle happened. Her non-member sister and her two daughters appeared at the door, heard the message as well, gave Hna C and I two heart balloons for V-Day, and accepted to come to church with us the next morning. 

We didn't have any baptisms this week. The one we had fell through when the investigator changed his mind 10 minutes after the baptismal service was scheduled to start. It was hard for Hna C and me, including that President and Hna Richardson were there to see ours and another baptism. But, Hna C and I got down on our knees, thanked Heavenly Father for the opportunity to learn and do better, and got up and went back to work. Probably with more desire than before. That, my friends, is when Hna Cr let us into her home. And when we met M, her sister.

The Lord works in mysterious ways. But, in every instance, He will lead us by the hand and bless us if we are willing to do His will. 

The two girls of this new family (P family), held my and Hna C's hands all the way to church. If we had to let go for an instance to pass a tree or pole, they immediately reached up for our hands again. It was a comfort, a thrill, and a humbling experience. 

There are people who are ready to hear the gospel of Jesus Christ. I hope that, by listening, loving, and seeking opportunities to learn, we may let the Lord in our lives to more explicitly show us the way. His way.

Dude. Didn't mean to focus on that one experience. There are other things that happened too. Including a romantic Valentine's Day lunch with Hna C, learning how to cook Corbiches (WHY HAVE WE NEVER EATEN THEM BEFORE? THEY´RE DELICIOUS. hehe), breathing in way too much car fumes, and playing the piano at church yesterday.



The more I am here, the more people I come to know, the more I can see the positives and negatives....the more I love it. We were taking a taxi somewhere and I almost pulled out my camera to take a picture of...the smell. Uhm. I chuckled to myself and put the camera away. Silly me.

Love you all! The poor gringos here are lobsters because we live so close to the sun. It's funny.

Oh, one last story...heheh. Translating phrases from English to Spanish can be quite difficult. It just doesn't come out the same.  I tried to tell Hna C that we had to brainstorm ideas to help our ward become more unified and to find more investigators. Brainstorm translated into "Lluvia de cerebros." HAHAHAH Nope. Also, a gringo tried to say ´they were talking trash about...´but translated, it was "ellos estaban hablando basura..." and none of the latinos had a clue why we talk so weird in America....:P hahahah.

Love you all! Thank you for all that you do! I love your emails, and I love you! 

Sorry I write so much! I just love the life I am living right now and every detail matters. Because I see the Lord in every detail! It is such a blessing, and so true for each of us! :D

0 comments:

Post a Comment