Thursday, September 4, 2014

Week 28! "Jugo de Cana [Canya]"

From 8/11/14

This week we had Consejo de Barrio (Ward Council) on Thursday. At the beginning, bishop told me, "I have two things to tell you. Two things" he said as he held two fingers up in the air. I thought it was going to be something about a communication he had between him and Mom or something but....not so. He pulled me aside from my companion after consejo and quietly counseled me:

"I saw you walking down such and such street today...." pause, "...and you were walking in front of your companion." After he said this, I knew where he was going next, and his words pierced. He gently, but directly, counseled me to walk beside her. Then he said nothing else about it. I only responded, "It was costumbre, obispo..." But I felt so bad. People really are watching us from everywhere, often without us even knowing it. And walking in front of your companion is a sign that we don`t get along or that I am better than her. I know it`s not recommended, but that`s how I always walk, because I like to walk fast...and I didn`t think that much of it, la verdad.

The second thing he wanted to say: "Also, do you work on [the famous street] at night?"

"Yes," I replied.

He asked us, so lovingly, to avoid it at night because he`s been down there that late and feels that we should avoid it. I responded that I was conscious of this, and that we were trying to be careful. But that sometimes, it`s a little unavoidable because many of the people we need to visit are only there at night. He didn`t want to tell us NOT TO GO THERE, but instead, offered a better alternative...He commented that he would put a better foot in and go with us more often at night so we wouldn`t be alone...or that he would assign someone from the ward, perhaps with a car, that could do so instead.

I went home and, I`m not gonna lie, I did cry a little. It felt very much like Mom or Dad was there giving me counsel and advice. The counsel even made me feel guilty!! Yikes!! jaja But it`s because of the special connection we have with my bishop...and I definitely felt his admonishing love. I can honestly say that I don`t let my companion walk behind me anymore.

Also, we had a special experience with another fast this week. Hna L and I wanted to fast for a less active Mom of a somewhat active family. La familia "E". They struggle financially and have had some conflicts within their relationships because of it. The Mom does not feel able to go to church because she feels there`s never enough time to work to provide for them.

We fasted to know what to do, because they asked us specifically, "Please don`t neglect us. Please help us to come up with ideas (to resolve the schedule/financial situation)."

When we visited them on Thursday, we walked into the little home without knowing really where we were going to take the conversation of the visit. All we had prepared with us was a little piece of paper that had the number to the employment office of the church.

We began asking them questions...trying to get a feel of what it was they were really looking for. We felt the differences of opinion. As we listened, ideas began coming to our heads that we hadn`t thought of before. We read a scripture in D&C 59 about the Sabbath day. We promised temporal and spiritual blessings. Hna L shared a heartfelt testimony about a time their family was struggling financially and how she knows faithful church attended was what had blessed them. She brought the spirit so powerfully with her testimony...no one even remembered that she is still learning Spanish and only had just over a week in Ecuador.

Then, we left them a little post-it note with 4 steps listed on it: 1) pray as a couple, specifically asking for solutions to what they`re looking for; 2) meet with the bishop; 3) I can`t remember what three was....oops; 4) have faith! everything will work out when we keep the commandments of the Lord.

Obviously it wasn`t enough...despite countless hours of labor and attempts to have success within their family. We pointed out that, obviously, that wasn`t enough. We can`t do these things alone. We need divine help. We promised her that, if they went to church as a family, they would have what they needed.

After the closing prayer, we felt how much the attitude of the house had changed. The Spirit was very clearly there. There are several things in this case that are out of our expertise and authority, but inviting to pray and to keep the commandments always seems to be the answer for any problem people face....that part felt so true that night.

Yesterday we saw the entire family at church! :) Hna E was there for the first time in a long time...probably a few months. She sat quietly in every lesson. Hno E is pretty short, but he smiled up at me gratefully at the end of the block and waved a little piece of paper in my face.

"Look what I have! It`s an answer to our prayers!"

I saw that, the little piece of paper which he held, was an invitation to an employment night event the ward was putting on Saturday the 16th. I felt very grateful to see the little light in his eyes of hope. Immediately I responded, "You see, the Lord`s blessings!" jaja.

This is a great example of effort on everyone`s part. The E family, us, the ward council....all taking the initiative at once. Why wait? Why not get to work right away..! And, all of this because the Lord loves the E family. And He loves us. When we all work together to build His kingdom...blessings and miracles happen. We let the Spirit do it`s job....and it`s so rewarding :). I wonder what Zion will be like...

Also this week, "C Y" will be getting baptized. I will definitely need to send a couple pictures of him. He treated Hna L and me to jugo de caña this week (sugar cane juice). It was completely pure!!!! We watched as the lady peeled a side of the cane and pressed it through a crazy-looking juice presser. No water or sugar added!! And it was soooo good. Not too sweet....but juuuuuust right. And refreshing. We definitely have to go back to that place!

We continue to have many special experiences! We aren`t by any means perfect...But, like Matthew, Dad, and Mom said this week...I know the Lord blesses according to the desires and honest efforts of our heart. Our "numbers" were low this week...but it wouldn`t show. Hna L and I feel so blessed and like the Lord is making up for the rest....He is making up for what we lack. And I hope we can keep that confidence in Him, and ourselves, going.

I love you all!!! I hope you all have a great week!! I love hearing from you - thanks for your wonderful (and specific) stories and help!!!

Have a great week!! Ashley gets 8 months older the same day my companion gets 2 months!!! GO ASH!!!!! Love you! :)

Hna Fernelius

"Buenas tardes Presidente! ¿Còmo està?

...[let me tell you about] a family with two small children we`ve been teaching. 'A' has hit rock bottom in his life in the past, which is a large part of the reason we feel he is finally ready to accept the gospel. The very first time we visited them, he shared a dream he had of a holy messenger looking at him and saying "The hermanas are here; wake up." And right then, we knocked on the door. He works some Sundays, which is the challenge. But we know he wants this in his life and we want to help him strengthen his testimony to where his boss can give him Sundays off.

Hna L and I are doing great! We feel like a team and have gotten to know the sector so much better this week. Our zone and district leaders are also supportive and very helpful, so we are grateful for them.

One of our goals this week, now that we know more members and where they live, is to plan more visits with miembro presente on a daily basis. We know that this will help our investigators to progress because that is what happened with [another recent investigator who has committed to be baptized].
 




This is the street that let us know we weren`t really lost one night last week when we were trying to get home. We don`t get so lost any more..but we have our moments jajaja

​I snuck a picture of this taxi driver who was watching a soap opera on a mini television by the rearview mirror. I asked another taxi driver about that later on....and he said that wasn`t allowed. jajaja Ohhh taxistas and soap operas.

It`s not a great picture, but it`s Hermana L's group of newbies and their new "parents" :) jijij. We`re the only hermanas beside Hna Richardson!

....this is our district.

For Benjamin....there`s a guy who has frames of different kinds of knots. Incredible!! I thought of you :) jaja

​My bangs are getting long...I should cut them. My hair actually looks pretty good today though...I pinned it back into a little poof-top thing....oh well. This mini ice cream was super cute and small!!!! It was 10 cents jajaja
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment