Monday, January 5, 2015

Week 50! "Physical and Spiritual Therapy"

From 1/5/15

This week something super special happened. There´s an investigator family that Hna Q and I found by asking everyone for references. We contacted this family about a month ago and came to discover that the missionaries had been teaching them a few months ago.

When we met them, we were presented with the parent´s younger sister, M. She´s 19 and lives with them. M had just had head surgery a few months before and was in the process of recovery. When we first met her, she was super super skinny and walked sparingly, and with help. She was talking and conversing still but it would tire her out. The thought crossed my mind that we might be able to do therapy with her every once in awhile, with permission. We did, too, but only one time.

However, this family didn´t really have interest in progressing in the gospel, and we had other families who were progressing who we were focusing more on.

Just Saturday, we decided to follow-up with them to see how they were doing. They let us in, and we saw M laying down in bed. She looked very....different. She looked bad. My heart must´ve crumbled because I couldn´t focus on anything else except, "How can I help this person?"

I sat there just....brainstorming options as her brother-in-law began to explain how they didn´t have any way to pay for therapy and they didn´t know what to do. Sirens went off in my head when he concluded, "It would be better for her to die than to live like this." Wrong!

I asked permission to make a phone call outside.

I called the Assistants to President. I explained vaguely the situation, with specific terms: "Elder, I believe if we don´t help this girl, she will die. And, with maybe 15 - 30 minutes of therapy a day, it is completely preventable."

A story in Preach My Gospel came to mind about a couple of elders who served a man around his home for months. Though it never says if this man ever accepted the gospel or not, it changed his way of looking at life and his level of hope. Though it was months of work for these elders, surely they were representing Christ in their service, and planting seeds for the future.

Every day goes by so fast. By the time we have our morning studies, occasional meetings, lunch, and get out to work, the day is already almost gone. Time, even to the minute, is so precious on the mission.

With this in mind, It was a good surprise when the elder replied, "15 - 30 minutes? It´s okay, Hermana. Go ahead and do it."

I sighed relief, though I knew this would be a sacrifice on our part as well though. But then, he added, "Thank you for serving, Hermana."

Wow, that was the confirmation I needed to know I was in reality using the time well.

Saturday night I bought gloves to protect myself and M, and yesterday was the first day of "therapy." After church, we went straight to their house. I changed my shirt to comfy clothes and put on gloves. I began to do therapy-stuff with M...starting with a simple skin-check and range of motion in her joints. I was also concerned with how much her cognitive abilities had declined since 3 weeks ago...

I felt like I was combining the two things I love to do most....serve, using the Gospel...and using therapy. It just felt...weird. jaja But good. Then, as I was doing range of motion of her hands and seeing if she would follow any commands I gave her, I held up my hand, indicating to her to do the same. Instead of copying my movement, she reached up for my hand. I waited to see what she would do. Then, without expecting it, she gently interlaced her fingers with mine and held it there.

I acted completely natural and thanked her, but moved our hands apart to continue. But......Wow. I was touched.

In past emails I´ve mentioned how much of a spiritual antidote it is for me when I serve. But, looking into service a little more, maybe there´s more to it.

I don´t want cambios next week. I need to stay here and help M. This family felt discouraged, not just in life, but in us as members and missionaries as well. I won´t easily forget what the older sister told us the first night we saw them and did follow-up..."When we needed you most, you didn´t come."
 
We asked perdón, because we are people after all (and honestly didn´t do anything wrong), but promised that, more than anything, if they began praying and reading the Book of Mormon together as a family, the Lord will be the one to truly produce the miracles. We can´t just sit and wait for something to happen; we must exercise our faith and first act.
 
Hna Q and I continue to have crazy days. Funny things happen every day! This is the truth...
 
For example, a really goofy man (as in, his voice is like a old-man frog, if that makes sense, and he is always always smiley) came of his own volition to church yesterday. He was only a contact!! And when he said he would come....he did!! jaja. He called us up Sunday morning to ask where he and his wife could meet up with us. When we called him again outside the church, asking where he was, it was about the 5th phone call trying to figure out where each other was. He finally answered the last time and said hopelessly (and in his unique tone of voice), "...I don´t know. I´m looooost." I couldn´t help but chuckle. He sounded so helpless but he was serious at the same time. Poor guy!
 
Anyway, he got along well with everyone and accepted a date to be baptized....because well....he was the one who mentioned to the bishopric that he would like to be baptized! jaja
 
Ohhhh family. How much I love you. I´m turning into such a softy in so many ways jajaja. Can´t wait to read what ya´ll wrote me! Have a great week!
 
Miracles always about, my friends. I know the Lord is refining me so, I feel very happy about that :)

Love you all,

Ñañagu Fernelius :)
 



The "dummy" laying in the street is a representation of the "old year", and will be burned in a later photo...

She works so hard, she's an inspiration - they all work hard here.


I also did a makeshift frog eye salad [not shown] muejejeeee :)  It turned out heavy - they don't have the right ingredients here, but it was still good.

For New Year's they burned muñecos (mannequins, aka "dummies"), and we watched from the terrace jeje.

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment