Monday, January 26, 2015

Week 53! "THE Cockroach"

From 1/26/15

What a good week!

First of all, I got to know [two areas with beaches] because we had divisions twice this week for 24 hours each...which pretty much I got to spend the night :) jejeje The first division I went on was with Hna U [one of my former companions]...remember her? Well, she asked about every single one of you.

It was a very special experience being companions again for a day after not seeing her for about a year!! And, you know what, it was also a very tender mercy. She has changed....a lot. And for the better. When I was with her a year ago, she was fighting the urge to go home. When I was with her this week, she took initiative in every lesson and in every contact. And, in my personal opinion, she teaches way better than I do: clearly, directly, and thoroughly. I admire the change she has become. She even said that she is "secure" with the person she has become and feels the responsibility to be a leader (self-initiated). I cried - I was so happy!! The Lord really can mold and change any person to be strong in whatever area they feel weak. Being with her that day was tangible evidence of that :)

Also this week: A young lady in our ward who has cerebral palsy (I believe) always comes up to us to happily greet us. Saturday, Hna F and I were waiting for the jovencita [young lady] who was going to be baptized to arrive. We were getting concerned because it was getting late, so we went to a secluded area behind the church to say a prayer. We did. And as we wrapped up the prayer, we heard this young lady, L, come up behind us and start laughing HYSTERICALLY. I thought, "What the hay? We´re praying."

But, we finished and upon opening her eyes, Hna F´s gaze went directly to the top of my head. She moved back a few steps and shrieked a little. My brain began storming....."There´s something on my head, there´s something on my head. Okay, I don´t know what it is. If I touch it, it might just creep me out or cling harder. Is it a salamander? Is it a moth or other large bug?...I´ll just carefully bend my head forward and hope it falls off."

So, that´s what I did, and I was afraid to look at the ground to see what it actually was. But, I was brave (pat on the back). I looked.

There, on the ground, was a cockroach the size OF.....like an eraser. Okay, so it wasn´t that big. And it was on it´s back, dead. BUT....L is scared of cockroaches! Apparently, getting a kick out of our reactions was enough to overcome the fear of finding a dead cockroach and placing it neatly on my head when we were with our temporal guard down...Good move L. Good move.

Also, we went home briefly Saturday to pick up baptismal clothes for N, who got baptized that evening. We walked in....and there was a bird in our house! It smacked itself ferociously against the windows trying to escape. Then, after running to grab my camera and take a video, it attacked my legs!!!! It finally made it´s get away through the kitchen and out the window there....I feared for it´s life. It looked so desperate. But wow.....what a moment as me and Hna F tried to encourage it out the window and battled it flying at us at the same time. jajaja

Okay, best moment of the week. We stopped by Hno A´s house because they were sitting near their window as we walked by [he's the one that had known Tiffany's dad during his mission]. We walked in. I can't help but feel very happy when I´m there now. I mentioned Dad´s reaction to him. He smiled.  Our conversation was very relaxed. I just stood there even though we weren´t talking about anything in particular. He mentioned he didn´t have Facebook, email, or phone....the only way to ever find him is actually physically knowing where he lives - interesting...

Then, he looked at me, and in a reflectioning way said, "I had a dream a long time ago. In my dream, a tall, American elder came up to me and shook my hand. The next day, I was sewing in my shop, and when I looked out the window, there were two elders that were coming to our shop. It was one elder and his new companion. That companion was your Dad." Woahhh.

I stood there watching Hermana A and smiling, feeling very grateful to be here living this experience. Then, he continued. "There are many elders that I have known through my life..."

He named the ones who baptized him...then he mentioned Dad. Of all the people to remember, he remembered Dad. His wife piped in and said, "he must´ve been a very special person for my husband to remember him so well." Hermana A then asked me, "Are you like you´re dad?"

I responded that I was. And he said, "There was a big spirit that went with your dad; he was a very special person. And a very good missionary."

Hermana A´s voice was next. Referring to me she added, "She´s proud of her father. Those are tears of joy."

I am so grateful to be here. Every day is a blessing. The people here are very friendly and open. For example, this week one taxi driver, one person who sat next to me on the bus, and one taxi driver gave us transportation -- without pay. The taxi driver guy even INSISTED we let him give us a ride, even though we assured him we only had to walk two blocks to our destination!

The challenge is not getting in, the challenge is helping them to progress. But, if we look, there are many willing to progress as well.

Love you all, and I hope you have a great week!!

Hna Fernelius

The residue of my Ibarra tan line....from being there on divisions [splits] only ONE DAY.

In the most wildernessy part of my sector. Most of my sector is houses and mud, but this part is more campo-y. With our newly sustained ward mission leader and his wife.

Last Monday we went to the beach. The weather there is much cooler! And, though we´re not supposed to get onto the sand...we definitely could to enjoy the view and eat KFC lunch jeje

Us in a mototaxi!

What...? Uhhhhhhh

Baptism!

The hermanas have a really big sector!!! Every part is a little different, but it´s all pretty.


The life....


Part of the zone eating after playing soccer for P-Day :)

A mamita [cook] here...jajaja yuummmm. It's a taste of the fun nature of the people here.

A cancha [soccer field] here.

Hna Q.  I was also with her yesterday and today because our compas had to make a day´s trip to Quito and back.

[No wonder "knocking on doors" is never very successful....]

["Preaching to the dead" - in 2015.  To understand this photo, you need to see the next one from Tiffany's dad's mission!]
["Preaching to the dead" - in 1986.  Tiffany's dad (and companion) were such dedicated missionaries that they spent this particular P-day doing missionary work among the dead.  It's particularly fitting that his companion in this photo is wearing a shirt from the area Tiffany is currently serving in, even though the photo was taken in a different area.]

0 comments:

Post a Comment