Friday, October 24, 2014

Week 37! "Between Sessions Fame..."

From 10/6/14

As you all know, yesterday and Saturday was General Conference. Fun facts:

1) The family "Trujillo" that was sponsored between conference sessions (that have 4 children on the mission at the same time?) Yeah. They are a family that live here. Many of us here know them personally. I know someone who knows someone who knows them. Does that make me famous? Just saying...

2) The wheelchair service activity that went on here in Ecuador (also featured between sessions) actually took place IN THE CHAPEL WE WERE IN while we watched conference. Did you get that? We were watching a national broadcast about an activity that went on in the church we were watching the national broadcast in. Yep. Two of the missionaries that were sitting there with us were watching themselves on national television. jaja it was a party. It was great.

So, I was feeling pretty bad after not one of our investigators came to either days of conference. I really felt that we had done everything in our power to invite them to come. Afterward, Elder R, one of the zone leaders, just came up to us to make conversation:

He noticed that I was actually not feeling too well (ahem, trying to hold back the tears...), and he related his own personal experience of when he was training and for a solid 5 months was working so hard but didn`t see any "fruits of his labors" in that time period. After he left the sector, the two people he was working so hard with were baptized. So, even though he didn`t see any fruits then, he left a legacy and an influence.

His words we really inspired and cheered me up a lot. It was inspired because, well, I really didn`t say much to him about how I was feeling. But it was like he almost read my mind. His companion came up behind him not far into the brief conversation and, though he doesn`t speak much English, was in tune enough to just shake my hand at the end, look me in the eyes, and say in his broken English, "Don`t give up." I felt a lot better.

Hna L and I are working so hard. Sometimes the hard part to it is that, we are often brought to believe that, the miracles are a measure of our faith. Well, I have a lot of faith. But, the miracles don`t seem to be so apparent at times. So, it makes me wonder what I should have done differently. It`s just the way it is. But, fortunately, I have a solid conviction that the Lord knows what He`s doing...and that His Purposes and Timing are perfect. So, though I feel disappointed, it doesn`t lick me for long.

There have been tender mercies and indirect signs of the Lord`s love for me and the work we are doing here which also let me know that He knows EXACTLY what He`s doing.

For example, I ran into a young, less active woman from my last area. We had only visited her a handful of times while I was there with Hna D, but she greeted me very enthusiastically. I was pleasantly surprised! She mentioned to me that, after we had left the area, the other sisters had only gone to visit her one time. But that Hna D and I had left her thinking...a lot. And because of it, she had decided to quit her job (which included her working on Sundays), and she decided to put in her papers to serve a mission....!! I had no idea we even left that kind of influence on her. But it was a tender little mercy for God to let me see the kind of influence that is possible. The little fruits of our labor that I may have never known was a product of our service there.

Our bishop also said something very nice. I don`t know, every time I see him, he looks me square in the eyes and holds my hand firmly in his as he shakes it and asks, "How are you Sister Fernelius." He says it with so much sincerity. I feel like he really cares about me. He also said, "Tell your parents thank you." I asked for what, or if there was anything specific I could tell you. He just said, "Tell them thank you," and his wife finished the sentence saying, "For sending us their daughter." I laughed it off and took it somewhat lightly at the time, but it touched me deeply and actually meant a lot to me. Especially because I could feel in their voice that they meant it.

Anyway, there are so many things I wish I could tell you all right now. So many little blessings that I wish I could share.

The Lord is so merciful. He loves me so personally. His prophets are chosen people, and I love them so deeply. The work of the Lord is such a joyful experience. I love every moment of it! Even the weighty times are ones that I look forward to, because I know they are really just great opportunities.

I just want to share something that was a little bit of a theme for me this week. Something that Matthew very inspiringly wrote to me and Ash this week, which I love:

"Remember, a mission is not recorded by the number of baptisms you have or the number of members that you bring back to the ward or branch.  Elder Bednar said the very same thing...we don't preach for numbers or money.  A mission is organized and maintained by numbers so that we can have all names recorded for Heaven.  But for the both of you...your missions will be considered complete and honorable by the way that you serve those around you.  Those that are willing to hear the gospel will do so and be grateful for your intervention in their lives.  Those that do not accept the gospel will still be grateful for you by the way that you treat them and show them the light of the gospel, even if they do not want it yet.  They will thank you one day for your goodness and will eventually become members or better people because of the way you served around them.  That is the measure of a missionary and a mission...by how many lives they touched."


I love you all! Something I realized I do best is...SERVE. I love to serve. That`s a whole story of it`s own. But that`s also why I also testify that Elder Holland`s talk is so true. Serving is something that has become such a big part of me. It brings me the most joy of all! The fruits of it are just...miraculous.

Anyway, I`ve got to go. I love you all! Until next week!! :)

Hna Fernelius


[NOTE: Apparently at the 9-month mark, most of the sister missionaries pretend to be pregnant as some rite of passage or something.]

ASHLEY: Your 9-month pictures turned out WAY better than mine. My companion said, "Hey, she looks pretty good." jaja - Here are a couple of mine :P

My jacket didn`t even make it all the way down the belly. That`s okay, it accentuates the currrves. jaja





Mall displays of Ecuador -_- Wut.


The post-its say "Happy 9 months" from my companion jeje

0 comments:

Post a Comment