Friday, October 24, 2014

Week 38! "Two Small Children Please..."

From 10/13/14

This week was just...great. Even though Hna L was very sick at least one day this week, we were able to enjoy every little miracle. We have gotten so close so fast and I am actually a little scared because I don`t always feel like I'm necessarily on the mission anymore, but rather with my little sister. She has a such a tender spirit and tender heart. She is just so great!

Today was probably the best P-Day I`ve ever had. We printed email, took a bus down by the church to go to some neat little shopping stores (where I bought marshmallows and a little USB music reader which lights up, is super cool, and means I have music again!!!), came home, baked potatoes, roasted marshmallows and tootsie rolls on the electric stove and read mail. It was so relaxing. I seriously feel like I`m here all day with Ash or Amy. jaja

We also bought guaguitas because it`s the season where the bakeries make guaguitas and colada morada. Which was the first time since MOM made guaguitas with us that I`ve actually had one...

Anyways, I felt a little weird ordering this little bread-man, called guaguita, because in Quichwa, "guagua" (pronounced "wah wah") means "small child". So, knowing that, as I asked for two "guaguitas", I turned to Hna L with an aghasted look on my face and translated to her quietly, "Can I have two small children, please?" jaja These people are sick.

Anywayyyyyys. Do you all remember my mission Mom, Hna C? Yeah? Yeah??? Well, she goes home next week!!! Yep, she finished her mission o-O wuuut. I knew her when she was 8 months old on the mission...now she finishes? That`s just crazy talk right there. My Mom is LEAVING meee. My daughter will be left without a grandmother...well, at least she was able to meet her once before she dies. (This is mission-family talk ya`ll. Hope you`re keeping up).

This week I just feel so grateful for my three zone leaders. They are willing to sacrifice to make sure we are okay. Remember how last week I probably sounded really depressed and sad after having a rough week (even though it`s usually never as bad as it sometimes seems jaja)..? Well, two nights later, we got a random call from Elder R as we were getting ready for bed. Pretty much, he yelled at me (i.e. spoke very enthusiastically through the phone at how well we did that day), and thanked us for all our hard work, and what size shirts we are so he could order shirts for the zone. He also noticed I had a gripe (cold), so, as we hung up, he also exclaimed, "AND GET BETTER, OKAY?" jaja But with so much care in his voice. My zone leaders even sacrificed a lovely ride home Friday so that the person who was going to give them a ride could accompany us to the church for a tour we were going to do with two investigators. They are just...so awesome.

Also this week, our recent convert ("L") who we`ve been collecting bottles for, WENT TO THE TEMPLE!!!!!! He went with our ward to the temple, and participated in baptisms for the dead. Possibly the best part in all this is that, they didn`t have money for the passage. But, a couple members put their heads and hearts together and, not only bought the bus passage for L and his friend A, but ALSO donated them both white shirts, pants, and ties. L and A both bore their testimonies (by assignment) yesterday.

I couldn`t help but have my heart well up inside me. To see converts progress and take these steps!!!! Indescribable. And it all started with a spiritual experience, when we testified of Joseph Smith`s First Vision. This was the first time we met them. Now, they have callings, come with us to citas, have powerful testimonies of the commandments, and HAVE BEEN TO THE TEMPLE. I love how the Spirit works conversion in all people who seek it. And I love how we can be an integral part of that.

I`ve learned a lot this week about the importance of confiding in the Spirit. Sometimes with experience and trying to plan things out every day...we fall into the trap of relying on our own efforts to reap success. Last week, Hna L being ill gave me the opportunity to reflect a little on how we`ve been working with the Spirit. It`s important to do all we can, but it`s also important to trust the Spirit in compensating for the rest....a perfect brightness of hope. Knowing that, especially because we weren`t able to work outside the house last week as much as usual, the Spirit would continue to work in the hearts of the people...and that we would still be able to reap much success on the degree of our faith alone.

Sunday morning, the unthinkable happened. A person we contacted two nights before CALLED US to ask when and how to get to church. It was so interesting. One of my missionary-life goals was that this would happen...and it did.

I love this work. I know this is the Lord`s work. And miracles will abound if we continue to trust, ask, and act. I love the Lord, and I love how the Spirit is powerful to do anything. "J Y", the investigator who will be baptized this Saturday, is evidence of that. But, I`ll tell you more about his story next time :P :)

Love you all! Have a great week! Until next time....CAMBIOS :S jeje Hasta luego! :)

Hna Fernelius

Oh, Ash! The similarities of what we do is just about to get WEIRDER. Because, while you were copying mannequins at the mall last week in Mexico, we did the SAME thing last week in Ecuador...jajaja Here`s proof:
Jajaja Ohhh our sisterly-minds...how they think alike... jeje

One edge of our sector. We had to stop and take a picture...so many places in our sector has just such great views!! Ahh love it.

Let the rainy season begin.

I love this picture of Hna Lewis. It`s a good representation of the kind of person she is....big heart, big spirit, always content with the little things in life .
 
....our first converso reciente in this sector...now preparing to receive the Melquisedec Priesthood!! :)
 

Our guaguitas!!! That we bought...and DEVOURED today...starting with the heads...jejeje :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment