Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Week 65! "Made in Ecuador"

From 4/20/15

Thanks to each of you for writing. Your experiences make me smile, and your thoughts make me feel grateful for every piece of the plan of salvation.
 
I felt so happy this week. I felt so energized. I felt so...so...uh...what`s the word.....just felt good.
 
We had divisions [splits] on Tuesday and a surprise visit with some hermanas Saturday morning (one of them, Hna Z, actually knew Ash at the MTC).
 
I got to share a talk on gratitude Sunday in church. Hna B and I shared a special brief message in a meeting with other missionaries and President Richardson Friday....and I just feel happy. Happy to always have opportunities to serve and feel the Spirit. What makes me feel most confident and at peace is focusing outside of myself.
 
And something I`ve noticed is that it`s most easy for me to connect with the population of recent converts and less active members. That`s..."my thing" I guess you could say.
 
Yesterday is rained SO HARD. There was one point when Hna B and I were legitimately afraid...but just for a little while is all...:p jaja. It`s because the rain caused RIVERS in the streets. And there were lightning bolts that stretched from star up to floor down. One exploded so big that I think my ear drums are still recovering from it. I told Hermana B that I'm almost 100% positive that that bolt struck a building...or a person. It was the biggest bolt I have ever since. This is God`s way of saying, "Welcome back to Quito" for sure! jaja.
 
It`s cold. My hands turned blue yesterday. I made Hna B write stuff down in our agendas because my hands, well, I couldn`t feel them. Aaaah! And a big truck even went out of his way to "splash" a giant wave of water at us....boohoo. Well, I don't think it was entirely on purpose, but, that`s ok. I actually (secretly) thought it was kind of fun, jaja.
 
Also, Saturday night we went to pick up a member to come with us to a visit (Sister Y is awesome and about 60 and always packs her little backpack with her scriptures to come with us to visit at night when we ask her if she can). As we waited outside for her to finish getting ready, a little scrawny boy in thick glasses came running up to us yelling, "Hermanas!!"
 
I didn`t know him but responded, "Hola hermanito".
 
Excited to see us, he pulled out a little rectangular slip of plastic with several butterfly stickers on them.
 
"Hermanas, I am selling this for ONE DOLLAR!" he exclaimed.
 
I told him I wasn`t sure if I had the money, but reached for my monedera [purse] anyway and made a special effort to act as if it were hard for me to find the coins. I wanted to observe his reaction as he was forced to wait patiently. (jeje).
 
Then, I looked up at him and said, "I only have 50 cents, hermanito."
 
He paused, and thought for a brief second, then responded decidedly, "That`s okay!"
 
I gave him the 50 cents, which he happily tucked away in his pocket, and I reached for the butterfly stickers to happily tuck away in mine. I`m not sure what the money is for...but obviously he is anxious to buy something important.
 
The best part was what came next: as I sat there on the ground (me and Hna B relaxed and waiting), the little scrawny boy with thick glasses went running off. I chuckled as I heard his pocket jingling as he went, obviously full of coins he had collected over time. I wondered to myself what lengths he`s had to go through in order to collect all those coins. jaja.
 
I don`t know why I wanted to share that story. I just thought it was really cute. jaja
 
Anyways, have a great week and remember to count your blessings :)
 
Love you all,
 
Hna Fernelius

"This week we had a great experience visiting the house of a less active woman, her daughter, and 2 grandchildren. Hermana Y distanced herself from the church when she began attending another church and felt confused as to what is actually the truth. The first time we visited, we asked each one of them individually what it is that they desire for their lives. One said she didn`t know yet, the two grandkids said they wanted to serve missions (they are 8 and 10 years old) and then when Sister Y spoke, she began to cry. She said she also wants her grandkids to serve missions because she feels missionaries truly are there to serve and to help.
 
Hna B and I didn't do anything extraordinary...we just listened. But this softened her heart and allowed her to share some feelings of how confused she felt. She trusted that we would be able to help her. Her two grandkids, without being told, went to their grandmother and wrapped their arms around her.
 
It`s interesting how, when we truly want to know someone for who they are and what they need, sharing the gospel, testifying, asking good questions, listening, and in essence...being a missionary...just seems so natural. Every time we testify of God`s plan for families, the Spirit`s presence is unmistakable.
 
We had a follow-up visit with Sister Y Saturday and testified of the commandment Dia de Reposo [the Sabbath Day] with specific blessings that matched her needs. She mentioned the different spirit she feels when she speaks with us versus other places.
 
Yesterday she came to church. In Gospel Principles class when she introduced herself she said, 'I am grateful to be here, and I hope to stay.'
 
One of my favorite parts of missionary work is when someone becomes independent in being able to recognize and feel the voice of the Spirit. Because it`s key in their own conversion and being able to make other important decisions later on."
 
"Much better! Made in Ecuador"

Sister T is still super new in the mission.

The rain here at night...brrrr


RAIN RAIN RAIIIIIIIINNNNNN :)


Pretty mountains :)

Saturday morning with some of my Sisters.

It`s kind of big, wouldn`t you agree?

Otavalenian ladies in our ward!! Yaaayy. I liked this hermana`s style with her shoes :)

Me and Sister B today outside our complex. With the band Amy made me, jaja. Thanks! 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment