Saturday, August 16, 2014

Week 12! "Cambios de Emergencia!!‏"

From 4/14/14

Hi family...guess what this week is: SEMANA SANTA!!! WOOOOO CELEBRAAAATE. YEAHHH.

But, uuuuhm. What is Semana Santa?..I really still don`t know.... I guess it`s a week where all the people here celebrate the life, sacrifice and miracle of the life of Jesus Christ. We are awesome, because we celebrate the life of Jesus Christ every Sunday, and most especially every day of our lives, as members of the church. But one way they celebrate here is by a specific food every eats called `Fanesca.` It`s a soup made with 12 different beans (gorbonzo, peas, lentils, pshoo they have it all) and a little bit of cheese or other dressings on top of it.


We ate it at the O family`s house last night, and it was delicious! But I felt bad because it took 8 hours to prepare, and about 20 minutes to finish it off. I felt worse because they told me the "twelve" classes of beans in the soup represent the 12 apostles....so I felt like I was eating the apostles. Nevertheless, they were scrumptious. :)

My companion is a little crazy sometimes, too. I can`t remember if I told you last time or not, but pretty much every morning when we wake up and begin getting ready, I hear a little voice from across the house yell, "muuuusica!" And that`s my cue to turn on my music. jaja. Sometimes I humor myself and ask her for a request, knowing her answer will be the same every time: "His Hands." (aka "Sus Manos"). Then when she hears it, she squeals a little like she`s at a rock concert. jajaja

Music has helped me a lot this week. As Ash has said, it`s true that every day is a little bit of a rollercoaster here. Rollercoasters are great, but sometimes I don`t always find it pleasant. As the days roll on, it`s easy to get carried away in our own inadequacies and weaknesses, then feel sorry for ourselves and decline a little in our efforts. It happened this week. But, I can`t tell you how grateful I am, not only for your unfailing prayers, but also for a knowledge of the goodness of God. He is so merciful and extends His hand out to our in every moment we reach up to find it. As I turned to the Liahona, the scriptures, my journal, prayers, and music...I felt several times that I was tapping on the right door. Finally one day, it opened. 

I was able to communicate my concerns to Hna C, I was able to fast (p.s. fasting is so hard on the mission, en serio! Everyone wants to feed us!), and we were able to continue with much more understanding and unity. I realize that, when we speak and testify as one voice, although we aren`t perfect teachers, the Lord is able to use us as instruments in His Hands. And He animates us with miracles. Then I remain in utter awe at all the blessings He gives us, and have an increased desire to serve Him even more. Or at least, with more pure intent.

There`s a message I read en la Liahona, along with others that stood out to me: "Una mujer que habia pasado años de pruebas y dolor dijo a travès de las lagrimas: `He llegado a comprender que soy como un billete viejo de 20 dolares: arrugada, hecha trizas, sucia, maltratada y marcada; pero sigo siendo un billete de 20 dolares...`" No matter how beat up we feel or are, we are still too valuable to just let our worth pass us by.

One challenge I also found more apparent this week is that pride is the huge stumbling block of progress in the Gospel. There was a pattern of several investigators and less active members (all men...how weird) that were blatantly and declaringly rebutting some principles of the Gospel. In every one of these lessons, we felt the Spirit very present as we testify boldly using scripture and testimony. But, it`s hard to get through to them. Pride is one of the enemy`s biggest tools. Can`t these men see? Can`t they see that they are causing they`re our stumbling blocks, and that the enemy is winning? I can see it. But if they can`t, there`s not much I can do except pray for their hearts to be softened and continue to testify.

Last night was a little bit of a shocker. We got a call from the zone leaders at about 10pm. As Hna C spoke, her eyes grew wide. I knew something was up. Cambios de Emergencia....Emergency Transfers. Ohhh no.

Hna C was taken away from me. I`m excited for her because she is now one of the new Hermana Lideres. But it`s a mix of emotions...I`m still recovering from it. I am still here in my sector, but now I`m responsible for knowing where to go and what to do. My new companion came from Otavalo. Her name is Hna U, she`s from Nicaragua. In anticipating the changes, especially because of how sudden it was, I wasn`t sure what to expect. But Hna U is so sweet, skinny, and real. She already mentioned to me she likes to work hard. She is kind and genuine. I look forward to the rest of this cambio with her. It will be different, but it will be good. A new energy is in tooownn baby. :)

People here say I have "ojos de gatita"...translation for the extreme gringos: "cat eyes." I`m not sure if that`s an insult or not jaja. But one day someone asked us if we get a lot of nonsense from the muchachos around here. No. No really. There was only was time that an old man stopped to sing to me as we were contacting down the sidewalk. But that was just plain funny. And happened a long time ago. I love being half Ecuatoriana. I am pretty sure that before I`m done I`ll be completely Ecuatoriana. Just like Ash will be completely Cuernavacania.

Also, it`s weird, but I`m right in line with the height of the men on the buses. Taller than all the women. Taller than even some of the men....At those times, I feel so American-ly white. And you all know, I am really not that tall back in the states...so this is a wonder in and of itself. It`s pretty great.

I`m not sure what else I was going to say this week. I bought an Otavalenian sweater. The clothing they wear is so colorful. Remember those pj`s I always wore at home? Now I understand where we got them from. There are so many colors here! 

I know this church is true. I know that God lives and is very mindful of us. I have felt His Hand in my life. And every time I reach up for His, I find His Hand reaching down for mine. It is a blessing a miracle to be here. And, although the days ahead will be revealing and will require some esfuerza and faith, I know every moment and experience is for our good. And in preparation for something more. I am grateful for Jesus Christ and His Atonement. I pray we may never be too proud to overlook the goodness of it all. And the miracle of His forgiveness and love. 

To President:

"This week I was able to feel the Lord very present in my companionship with Hna C. This week we noticed something very pronounced in the way we work together. And that is, that when we work together as one voice and can collaborate and communicate well, the Lord immediately blesses us with miracles.

This weekend two of our young investigators, Ja and Po, were baptized. They were very excited, and gratefully, had a lot of support from the members of the ward. The unity of our ward is improving a little at a time. But this was a blessing because their father, Pe, chose not to come to their baptism that day to support them. He did, however, come to church Sunday for a little while to support them in their confirmation. Pe is a good man, but has some concerns still about the nature of our beliefs, specifically the commandments. He has a baptismal date for this weekend, so we hope to work with him this week to help him strengthen his testimony and understanding. He has an interest and desire to learn more, and feels that this gospel will be able to help him as a single father of two pre-teens, to be able to guide them and give them a solid foundation to develop upon.

Yesterday, Hna C and I were walking up the street to pick up the two children for church. Just as we passed by a busy store, a young man exited it and, looking up at us, asked, 'Are you two missionaries? We have been looking for someone, but haven`t seen missionaries in this area yet.' 

He proceeded to tell us that he is a member of 19 years, but that he is new to this area and doesn`t know where the church is located; so he hasn`t been attending Sundays. He also informed us that his newly wed wife is not a member, but that he would like her to receive the lessons so that she may be baptized. We were astounded...and very pleased. hehe That very morning we invited them to get ready for the classes (since they wouldn`t be ready in time for sacrament mtg) and that we would come by to show them where the church was. But at 10:20 am, when we were going up to meet them at their home, they were already dressed and heading on down to the church themselves. What a blessing! 

The Lord has shown His tender mercies to us again and again, especially in those moments when we feel inadequate or weak. But, as we humble ourselves and turn to Him for strength and guidance, He is immediate in His response to bless us.

It was such a huge blessing to have Hna C as a companion. I know she will be a huge asset for the hermanas as Hermana Lider....and I`m grateful she`s still fairly close! haha I look forward to working with Hna U. I can already see that she is very kind a genuine and has a lot to offer, and hope that I can help her transition to this area be a smooth one.

That is all for this week! I love the promises of the gospel. They are so constant and reassuring. And the Lord is so good to me. Blessings like this only make me want to contribute more back to Him. I know He lives, and that this church is true."

Have a good week familia! I love you all! I am grateful for you all!

Chow!! Se cuiden!

Hna Fernelius

Last day with Hna C...this morning :((


0 comments:

Post a Comment