Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Week 21! "Cuban Inspiration"

From 6/23/14

Hola parents and family :)

Yesterday we went to a member`s house to go to a visiting teaching visit with her. There was a Cuban man and his wife and child (all members) there visiting as well when we stopped by. This Cuban man said that before he learned of the church and became a member, he was Atheist. In Cuba, he said that the people do strange practices and rituals that many people figured it was better off to just be Atheist. But that at times he wondered, looking at his reflection in the mirror for example, "Where do men come from? How did we get here? Surely there`s got to be something that happens beyond death?..?"

So, when he met his wife and she invited him to church to learn about the gospel, he received answers to his questions and converted to the Lord.

They then told us that Elder Holland just went to Cuba the 14th of this month (last week!) and established the second branch in Cuba. Amazing! Cuba already had one branch with about 100 members, but the church received permission from the Cuban government to open another one. And although this little group of faithful members in Cuba meet in a rented building house, the church is gaining confidence there from the Cuban government...Something that was hard before, and took years to accomplish.

This work of salvation is growing! Like Cuba, it`s penetrating areas it never had before. Quizas the missionary work will start soon in Cuba as well.

Honestly, in one week I have felt a fresh vigor for the work of the Lord. Hna D is a hard-working gringa from Illinois. And her vigor, organization, and obedience coupled with her love for the Lord and sense of humor, has helped me to be the type of missionary I`ve always imagined before the mission. I love giving 100% to the work. I didn`t even have any time to write in my journal this week because we were really trying to take advantage of every spare minute to teach, update the records, and contact more people.

My new sector is similar to my old one in some ways, but the unique thing about it is that it extends to the edge of some high mountains where there is a carpet of tall, green trees and less houses. Approaching that edge of our sector (the west side), the roads start getting super steep and forking off into other steep, awkward-angled roads. The people near that area are also poorer and the houses are older and more....crumbled...I guess you could say.

The people are not as educated. So, oftentimes, the parents enjoy a more liberated life dancing, doing weird rituals for the virgin Mary, and getting drunk while their children play outside on the otherwise abandoned streets. Although it`s a part of the city, sometimes it doesn`t feel that way! jaja We only went up there yesterday because the rest of the week we were working down in the sector. But it was definitely very exciting to have a little different taste of the culture of some parts of Ecuador. I loved it! I`m not too thrilled about those steep hills though jajaja.

Sunday I met the bishop of our ward and some other leaders. They welcomed me and the other new elder into the ward and had us bear our testimonies in sacrament meeting. The chapel is very big and really nice. I felt very much at home there, and have been getting that "dejavu" feeling all over again with certain places I`ve seen or people I`ve met. I love that feeling of familiarity or of feeling that I`ve seen or been there before. It makes be think I have a purpose here, although I don`t know if it`s dejavu, as in my mind playing tricks, or a confirmation that the Lord has called me here for a reason.

One thing that might be a little interesting is that some of the general authorities (Elder Oaks and Elder Waddell) were here not long ago in the sector one over from mine, and I believe they were the ones who decided to dissolve one stake and mesh it into another. So, some of the sectors in our mission are now part of the mission Ecuador Quito (the South). There are 4 elders and 4 hermanas that have to now move out of those sectors in order to stay in this mission and turn those sectors over to the other Quito mission. So, that`s why I`m writing a little earlier than usual: we have to help the Hermana Lìderes move colchònes and the rest of their things into our house today. They will be living with us for a while, until the mission Presidents get everything figured out.

It`s really interesting to see all the changes and involvement that the general authorities have in Ecuador. They are really mindful and involved with the members here.

Maybe, if we work hard enough, we can also one day have another temple constructed in Ecuador?? :) It would probably be in Otavalo, though. That would be wonderful.

Anyway, I love you all so much!!! Happy 6 months on the mission Ashley!!! I hope it was great. It actually scares me at times at how quickly the time has been going by. I still feel so new and have so much to learn! o_0 jaja

AMYYYYYY I hope baby comes soon!!!! I love you so much and wish everything goes well.

I love you all! Take care!!!

Hna Fernelius

My district before the cambios
Conferencia de las zonas - Quito Este and Quito Oeste
Quito Oeste....Hey! It`s like the picture of us on the church stage when we were in Guayaquil!...jeje
This is a lady we just started teaching. In her fruit store with a SUPER mini banana. So cute! jaja
This is a friend of someone we believe to be our extended family

My new companion, Hermana "D"

0 comments:

Post a Comment