Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Week 19! "The Little Things"

From 6/9/14

Hi family!!
 
This week Hna U and I were contacting a few people on the way to an appointment. We really stink at contacting, I´m not gonna lie. So we had to go out really determined. Hna U said that something that´s helped her to contact more is to apply a random word in the contacts. For example, in one contact I had to use the word "tortuga", in another, "choclo", etc. So, I started asking a lady if she knew of a place around here that sold "little gummy tortugas". These two ladies were so concerned when they replied that they didn´t know of a place. The best part is trying to not to break character and laugh. But, this lady ended up being a very special blessing for Hna U and me.
 
She began to cry and share that her husband was sick. She has 5 children. She had a glass eye. And she was the only one able to work (directing parking cars along the road) to provide for her family. It was a very touching experience and Hna U and I had to do all to keep from welling up with tears.
 
We ended our little visit with a prayer, and she said it. I will never forget how she began her heartfelt prayer: "Señor Dios, Buenas noches. Gracias por mandar angeles vestidos de señoritas..." [Translated to: "Mr. God, Good evening. Thanks for sending angels dressed as young ladies..."].
 
My heart swelled up with so much love for this woman. She accepted our invitation for her to prepare to be baptized. And although she doesn´t live in our sector, we feel a lot of love for this woman and hope the missionaries in her sector will take good care of her.
 
Also this week, Hna U and I gave a little capacitacion on how to have "fun" language study in the morning. It turned out AWESOME. I had so much fun just teaching about it. Maybe Ash would benefit from one of these ideas that I learned from other people before and during my mission.
 
The first I call "El Mono." I open the Book of Mormon and begin sounding out only the vowels. I leave out all the consonants and read as if the consonants don´t even exist. It sounds and looks funny, much like a Mono (monkey), but my throat and tongue get so tired from it, it´s incredible.
 
Then, I exaggerate all the ´r´s´ by rolling them like crazy. Every time I see an "r" I exaggerate it. One of the hardest things for gringos to learn are the "r's". But, since I want to sound Latina at the end of all this, I gotta learn! jeje.
 
President Gordon B Hinkley promised EVERYONE that by the time you read the Book of Mormon from beginning to end (in whichever language), that by the time you finish, you will be able to speak that language. Incredible promise!!  That´s something my companion, Hna U, taught me.
 
Also, do you all remember the C family?? We baptized her son, "A", awhile ago with Hna C, but his Mom, brother, and father are all less active. Remember that we brought him cake and had to warm up to them a little at a time? She was very very closed and cold, so it was always hard to teach or get in contact with her. Well, SHE CAME TO CHURCH YESTERDAY!!!! Better yet, this was her SECOND time coming to church on Sunday.
 
I felt and still feel so joyful and grateful for this change that has influenced her little by little. At the beginning, I had no idea how much time it would take, or if she would ever come back to church. But, I have been in this sector long enough to see how the Lord has touched this family´s life.
 
It really began when her husband was put in jail. We don´t know why. But we, like always, stop by and always offer a smile and whether there was something we could do to help. Then, one day she did finally ask for help. Then, without honestly even knowing what had brought her to that point, she shared the fact that she felt an answer of peace. And that the Lord has let her feel that everything would be okay and that her husband would come home soon. Without doing anything different or out of the ordinary, she came to church that Sunday!
 
The prophets and apostles tell us to never give up on someone for a reason. Because, with our consistent love and prayers....people change! Events happen in their lives, their hearts are humbled and softened...and people change! She came to church Sunday, and I feel the Lord has blessed us, and is blessing her to experience this change.
 
"Hna U shared a special experience with an investigator, "S". The Spirit was strong as she expressed to this investigator that she felt like she was sent here to help him specifically, and as if she knew him before. At first, I was a little nervous about what his response to that would be (because he calls himself Atheist), but immediately when she finished, he responded saying that he had the same impression. This experience is one example of how we have felt the Lord´s Hand in leading us to our investigators.
 
We were able to have 3 people rescatados [rescued]! We accomplished this by applying Elder Waddell´s counsel: if the bishop can´t go to them, bring them to the bishop. And that´s just what we did.
 
I know my Savior lives. I trust Him, and desire to live so that He will always trust me. I am grateful for the Gospel and for all the things I am learning about being a virtuous person in thoughts and actions. I look forward to a great week with my companion.
 
This week we have transfers. I don´t know what will happen, but I will be sure to let you all know!!
I love you all! Have a great week!!
 
Hna Fernelius
 
​Today we went to La Mitad Del Mundo!!! It was buenisimo :)
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment