Monday, February 3, 2014

Mission Decision

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Let me tell you a little bit about my decision to serve a mission...because, you know, it wasn't originally in my immediate plans.

 Honestly, the opportunity came to me. the idea of going on a mission always simmered beneath the surface as I worked and carried on with life. Until, finally, it broke through the surface and attacked me!

 I started getting close to the missionaries at the end of last summer. Before then, I pretty much ignored them and was somewhat intimidated by them. Like they weren't human beings, but something else. Once I realized this and broke the barriers to start to get to know them, I decided I really like missionaries.

 I don't think it was coincidence that shortly after this is when President Monson announced the age change for men and women who desired to serve a mission.

 But I figured I'd get a little bit of career experience first. "Okay, so, if I'm not married by the time I'm 23, I will go on a mission." That was my new plan. heheh

 As Ashley was finishing her CNA schooling, she prayerfully considered her options to serve. Two windows looked good for her, but ultimately she chose to acknowledge the impression to put off nursing school in lieu of a mission. In her prayerful consideration, I re-discovered my idea of when and if I should go.

 As I started stepping in that direction, windows started opening, the time seemed more right, and there was some fantasizing and wondering about whether or not this was good, but never any feelings of worry or fear. Actually, I started seeing my situation as though I couldn't imagine anything else making sense in my life at the time other than going on a mission.

 Some crazy things happened as I completed the missionary app process. For example, the people involved in the doctor's appointments and appointments with the bishop and everything I had to schedule had a sense of urgency about them. Yeah I wanted to get it done, but I was casual about the whole thing. It was everyone else who seemed anxious to get it done.

 I don't usually answer numbers I don't know on my cell phone, and especially not at work when I'm about to enter a patient's room for treatment. But, there was one day in an extraordinary circumstance that I did just that, only to find that the lady on the other side was a secretary at one of the doctor's offices, calling to let me know that there was a cancelled appointment and if I'd like to come in sooner....! What the heck?

 Even after getting my mission call, my bishop was the one who called me in order to set up a temple recommend interview. I thanked him for that, because by then I had already started seeing a pattern. I can tell you, the sense of urgency definitely started rubbing off on me. Everyone seemed so anxious to scoot me along this process. It was unusual!

 And again, I could be totally wrong, but when I went into this I had the idea that foreign missions usually give about 4 months from the time they receive the call to the time they report to the MTC. Ashley had 4 months. Why did I only have 2.5!! It seems to me that time is a factor in all this for sure, but I have yet to know why.

 I opened my call on October 17th.

               "...You are assigned to labor in the Ecuador, Quito North Mission..."


  To find out that I am going home. The place my mom grew up. And the same mission my Dad served just over 25 years ago, where he met my mom.

 Ash and I went straight to mission prep class after this, and in a burst of energy I ran out to the car in a psychopath zigzag. I couldn't run in a straight line.

 That Sunday, I thought it was fit that a certain phrase in a song stood out to me as I was getting ready for church...."Consider anew what the Almighty can do."

I'm not going to Finland, like my sister Amy thought, or stateside like many others thought. I'm not going to Italy like my mom dreamed years ago, even though my mind was set on it. I'm not even going to Europe at all.

 I see now that Heavenly Father needs me to be a part of something a little different than I had imagined, and more special than I could have guessed.

 I am very excited to learn more about my people there. And, somehow, I believe there are eternal connections involved in this journey.

 So, at 21 years old, many years ago, a courageous woman married a righteous young man and left everything she had....her family, her culture, her home...to come to a new -- everything. Not knowing the language, the culture, the people. Away from friends and family. And without the means to visit her family again for 10 years. That was my mom.

 Now, at 21 years old, I will be returning to where it all started. We are flopping stories a little bit. haha But, I will only be away for 18 months, not 10 years haha. We are grateful, and so very blessed.

"Blessed be the Lord God, the God of Israel, who only doeth wondrous things." Psalms 72:18

0 comments:

Post a Comment