Monday, February 3, 2014

Ohh Life at the MTC

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

So it's true. I'm here. I don't know what Ash said in her email yesterday but let me tell you what happened. The first day at the MTC went very similar to how Ash described in her first email home to us. That first night, we had some training at the 'main campus', which is where about 1200 of the missionaries who come to the Provo MTC go. Everyone speaking spanish, which is about 340-400 of us are taken on a bus to the Wyview Apt complex, which used to be where BYU students would live before they got kicked out hehe. But anyways, that first night it was nippy, cold, and dark as I stepped out of the chapel with my trio sister companionship. We were a trio only for a day because we were the only sisters in my class, which we call a 'district'. Several districts make a 'zone.' I never knew what any of those words meant until I came here...hehe.

As we walked out, I heard, "HERMANA FERNELIUS!!!!" And looked up to see a big white smile coming in my direction. It was Ashley!! She gave me a big hug and I could hear her crying...in shock or surprise or happiness. Probably all of the above. I only cried because she was, but my response was, "How did you know I was here???" As in, how did she know I would be coming out of the chapel at that time haha. She didn't necessarily, but she did know I would be in her zone, and she would be my sister training leader.
The next afternoon, I got my own companion, Sister M. Her spanish was too good for the basic spanish learners, so she got bumped up to advanced spanish with me. Now, instead of being at the MTC for 6 weeks, she'll actually be leaving before me...next Monday! I leave next Thursday is what the travel office said. But everyone else in my district has their itineraries except for me so far.

Ash and my classroom are RIGHT NEXT TO each other. We ran into each other often: at lunch, on the West Campus (Wyview Apts), or learning classrooms (Raintree Apts). Wyview is where we sleep. Raintree is where we study. Most of our time is at Raintree in our little itty bitty classroom that was morphed into a study room in the living area of a used-to-be apartment.

Adjusting has been fairly easy. A couple days ago, I was taking the bus from the main campus back to our apartments, and trying to imagine what I'd be doing in my life if I wasn't a missionary right now. I looked down at the cold, snowy sidewalks and tried to picture myself walking on them, alone, as if I were on my way to work or to class or something....and it just didn't seem right. It feels so right being on a mission. After I was set apart by President G., I felt like a more reassured version of myself. Any desires to watch TV, listen to the radio, dance, etc completely left me the moment I knew I was a missionary of the Lord.

The air on the MTC grounds feels full. Without even trying, I can feel a constant presence of heavenly beings surrounding us here. It's nice knowing that I am surrounded by people who love the Lord as much as I do.
We have several teachers. The one we see most is Brother S. Most of them are students of BYU who are able to teach here for a period of 3 years tops. So they are all young and in their 20's. Sadly, when they say their age most of the time, they preface it by saying how old they are. mid-20's is not old people!! And yet, they teach with the conviction and testimony of people who are very mature and in tune with the spirit. The sensitivity they have to our needs is definitely directed by God. Yesterday, I was having a tough time with role playing. Role plays stink. I do so much better teaching "real people." The words just come much easier. However, Hno S. came in and, being able to look at me with the most understanding and gentle of looks was very comforting, especially being the quirky, Mexican-tinted English speaking man that he is.

I can totally pray in spanish. I can say the first vision, the mission purpose, and....oh yeah, sing hymns up the wazoo in spanish too. The praying though, that's the best part so far. I've even led an entire full-on lesson with a "real investigator" (who is someone we've never met and isn't a teacher). Some of them really are investigating the church, but you can never tell if they're pretend real investigators or really real investigators. It's deceiving at times. But we treat every lesson as really real.

Today we were able to attend the Provo temple in the morning. We took some pictures and Hna M. is one who loves to ask questions. So when she asked if we could perhaps see the baptistry and the temple workers let us....it was way cool. The spirit or reverence there is complete and filling. Very edifying indeed.
 Hna M. oftentimes likes to sing at the top of her lungs at random times during the day! That sounds a little familiar, now doesn't it? She is from Iowa and grew up on a cow-farm.  And she's going to Bolivia. Our spanish is broken, but she is inspiring because she feels so comfortable and willing to give it a shot at any time during our class or in conversing with someone throughout the day. Seriously, it's very easy to try and speak here because there is no judgement or criticism floating around here. We are all in the process of learning one way or another, so it's support all the way.

Ashley's right, the branch presidency (a bunch of zones makes a branch...yeah) are way cool! Bro N. is the 1st counselor and was a football coach, so he speaks with fire and punches his fist in the air to make his points. He has a lot of good info. Very receptive and speaks in a way to fire you up. President C. is very soft-spoken and endearing. He has a lot of love in his smile. President Cl. is tall and has a countenance of happiness and tender love for each of us. He's 2nd counselor.

The night our district met them, they interviewed us and immediately set forth some callings. Everyone in my little district received a calling except me. Whether they were called as Zone leader, District leader, Senior companion...the works, I sat there and smiled and sustained.

I know that my calling right now is to love my Senior companion, Hna M. We both have things to work on, so I feel like we have a plan and purpose in that.

Oh yes, you know how I speak really casually in writing....uhm. Not gonna do that anymore. I gotta speak more nicer or somethin. That'll be a gradual change. We still call each other "guys" instead of in the respectable terms of "Elders" and "sisters". Yowza. Oh, and everyone we know on the West Campus knows Ashley and my names!!! We slipped up so much this week whenever we spoke to each other.. "Hey Ash!!....I mean, Hermana Fernelius." "Oh Tiff!....oh wait..." Haha everyone knows our secret identities now. I loved living one classroom door away during the day, and one apartment building away by night to her. What a tender mercy! But she's gone now for Dallas Texas..Then Mexico tomorrow! Que bien!
Oh, and sometimes I catch myself thinking in spanish. It totally throws me off guard, but in a very liberating and rewarding way.

No wonder Ashley writes so much in her emails! It's hard to keep track of what I want to say, then something random will pop into my head of an idea or thought I remember....today was weird though. Next time I'll map out what it is I wanted to share. Today we were between the temple, main campus to get my jacket pocket mended, and back for laundry and stuff. The main campus is fun because their food is a buffet wilderness. The food on this campus is good too, but not with a wilderness of options.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Ashley really is a whole new person here -- at least when I saw her. She is so in her element! I have never seen her so confident in what she says or how she interacts with people. She is so spunky and was really enjoying herself. It was weird to see her so dominating in any presentation or training or interview we would have with her. I almost thought her companion didn't have a voice, because Ash totally showed initiative and spoke with authority. It was really neat :). I liked spying in on her Provo MTC life while I could. My curious little self was able to peer into her life as a missionary for just a little while. Very cool. Being in apartment rooms most of the time and such, it felt very casual and natural to come across or be around each other. If I came across her at the cafeteria or something, I'd just say, "Oh hey." and we'd smile and continue on. As if we never left home.

I stole these pictures from Hna M. Her camera uploads....mine doesn't. At least not that I am able to figure out at the moment. But, here's something!

Love ya!



0 comments:

Post a Comment